Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Some new stuff and HaPpY mAiL!

I've told you before about my favorite 2nd hand furniture shop--Yesterday's Treasures--right? She is the one who will put things aside for me to look at before she will put it out on the floor (sewing stuff-- buttons, fabrics, trims). She doesn't give me a price cut, but she does give me first dibs on it--which I appreciate very much.

She recently surprised me with these awesome--AWESOME--vintage hand embroidered dish towels!! I almost plotzed! These are the most ridiculously great towels EVER! They are unlike anything I've seen before--bold and great, almost folk art looking embroidery and applique. They were a little pricey--but I had to have them! I took one out this morning and sat there with my scissors....oh, it was hard to cut into it! They are not in perfect condition--the white parts do have some discoloration and stains here and there--some fraying here and there--but all in all, pretty good, and the embroidery is still in great shape. When I saw them I thought to myself "these are going to make beautiful bags!!". I finished the apple one this morning--and I LOVE it! It's going to be hard to part with it. I still have a pear one, peach, strawberry, plum, and cherries left to create with.

And, I finished up a couple more bookcovers that had been sitting just waiting for the finishing touches. Here is one I just listed in my Etsy shop this evening--"Coffee and a Good Book" AND I had a wonderful surprise in my mailbox today!!! Yes, Jenn Maruska is trying to spoil me rotten! Yup! I was fortunate enough to be the winner of her Birthday Drawing, yeah! and today I got my package--just a package of sewing goodness!! LOTS of beautiful fabric, and some lace and floss and beautiful buttons and even some Smarties (which I love by the way)---I love it!! Thanks Jenn--you are a doll :-)

Well, Misty--my stepdaughter--is all settled in here, the poor thing. She actually broke her ankle in 2 places and has pins and screws put in there to hold things together. She cannot put any weight AT ALL on her foot, and has to use a walker when she absolutely has to get up (you know, the bathroom). This is pretty tough on a 21 year old! She is bored silly already and it's only been a couple days. It's a bit rough on me too, with my bad knees, running up and down the stairs a hundred times a day!! LOL Maybe I'll lose some weight!! (fingers crossed!) So keep her in you prayers.


Any ideas on fun stuff we can do to stave off the boredom while she is bedridden?? Come on you creative geniuses out there--I need some good suggestions!

6 comments:

Betty said...

Oh gosh...I once spent 37 days in the hospital on bed rest. I learned how to cross stitch, She could embroider towels for you to sew into more pretty bags. I love that bag you made!

Home ec new Haven said...

Hi Karen,
I don't know how I never saw your blog before!
What a great vintage towel, you turned it into such a sweet bag. I hope your step daughter recovers quickly.... she will need to become crafty or go insane! Put her to work stitching.
Carol

Heidijayhawk said...

does your step daughter crochet or knit or embroider? might be a chance for you to share your passion with her. love the new book cover by the way!

Joni said...

I LOVE YOUR NEW BAGS. Karen they are awesome. Tough to cut the towels up but what a great way to preserve the needlework! The book covers are fantastic too. Man you are so talented!

I have one of those t.v. video poker games. In the winter hubby and I play for hours.

Dinah said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your step-daughter. That's got to be especially tough at her age. I think the embroidery/cross stitch ideas are good.

I love the bag and the book cover you've made. You're so fortunate to have a store owner who will hold things for you to look at first. That's wonderful.

ShabbyInTheCity said...

A laptop and a list of blogs ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin